- What Is It?
- AutoInk is a plug-in for Adobe® Acrobat® software. The plug-in provides a set of Acrobat tools (pens and highlighters) for easy annotation of PDF files using pen input. The software is capable of converting handwritten ink into text or sticky notes. Use these tools to write notes, draw, doodle, fill form fields and highlight document content.
- Is It Smooth?
- The plug-in uses smooth inking provided by Microsoft operating system and feels very easy and natural to use with a pen input. It can be also used with any other pointing device such as mouse.
- How It Differs From Acrobat's Pencil Tool?
- The plug-in is designed for writing with a pen and uses very smooth inking interface found in Windows 7, Windows XP and Vista. The Acrobat's standard "Pencil" tool is designed for a mouse input and does not utilize a pen support that comes with latest operating systems. As the result, AutoInk provides a much better user experience.
- Supported Platforms
- The plug-in is designed to provide a native support for new handwriting recognition, inking and pen features available in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Table PC edition. The software can be also used with regular XP with extra download.
- What Do I Need?
- You need a Windows Tablet PC computer running Adobe® Acrobat® or you can use a regular Windows PC with a pen input device such as a Bamboo Wacom tablet. Although, the plug-in works even with a regular mouse, it is recommended to use a pen writing device for a smoother and more natural experience.
- Quick Links:
- Write, Draw or Doodle
- Use 5 different pen tools (black, blue, red, green and white) to write or draw anywhere on the document. Adjust pen thickness and color for a custom appearance. Easily erase ink with a top of the pen or use a special "eraser" tool.
- Highlight Document Content
- Use 5 different adjustable highlighters to markup document content (text, images, graphics). AutoInk can create both regular text highlighting (anywhere on the page, not just over text elements) or semi-transparent inking annotations. Adjust highlighter's width, color and transparency for a custom appearance. Here is sample of document marked up using various highlighters:
- Fast Text Color Coding
- Use "Highlight Text" toolbar to quickly color-code selected text using 5 different adjustable highlighters.
- Highlight Text By Search
- The plug-in can search for user-specified words and sentences and automatically highlight them in the document. Text can be highlighted with a single color or using 20 different automatically assigned colors (each search term is highlighted with a different color).
- Use Acrobat's "Comments" panel to navigate, search and work with text highlights created by "Highlight by Search" function:
- Fill PDF forms
- Write right on top of the text form fields using pen input. Easily convert ink into a text with a click of a button. The plug-in performs a handwriting recognition using latest Microsoft technology and automatically fills form fields underneath.
- Convert Ink To Text
- Easily convert any inking into either native PDF text, text box annotations or sticky notes. Use advanced recognition settings and custom word list to improve recognition results. Control font style, color and title case of the output text.
- Optionally convert handwriting into a text box annotation or a sticky note.
- Save Inking As Pencil Annotations or PDF Line Graphics
- The plug-in allows saving inking either as pencil annotations or directly as PDF line graphics(for improved performance).
- Flatten Ink Annotations
- Easily flatten ink and other annotations to preserve their content and appearance. All interactive content and inking annotations will be converted into native PDF graphics that cannot be easily changed.
- Insert Blank Pages
- Conveniently insert blank or notebook-style pages with a single mouse click to make room for more inking. The plug-in automatically creates new pages based on dimensions of the current page.
- Adjust Ink Appearance
- The plug-in provides full control over the color, thickness and transparency (for highlighters) of all inking pens.
Plug-in adds two toolbars and a menu to the Adobe Acrobat user interface for a seamless integration.
- Plug-in's Toolbars:
- Watch live demo and product review in "Acrobat For Legal Professionals" blog by Rick Borsten, Business Development Manager specializing in the Acrobat-Legal Market for Adobe Systems Incorporated.
- AutoInk review in "Family Lawyer Tech & Practice" blog.
- Another review published on "PDF For Lawyers" website.
Download and evaluate a 30-days fully featured trial version of the plug-in. All what you need is a copy of Adobe Acrobat® software and any Windows computer (from version 10 to XP). The software will work even with a regular mouse input, but using a pen enabled tablet or computer is preferable.
- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP - Tablet PC Edition
- Regular Windows XP:
If you want to run the plug-in on a regular Windows XP system, then you need to download and install ink supporting components from Microsoft first. These components do not come with a regular Windows XP. Click on this link to download a Windows installer file (MSI). Run this file on your computer to install all necessary system components before installing AutoInk plug-in.
- Download Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Recognizer Pack from Microsoft for enabling ink to text conversion on a regular Windows XP computer.
Full version of Adobe® Acrobat® software is required (versions 6, 7, 8, 9, X, XI, DC). This
software will not work with free Adobe Acrobat® Reader®. Batch processing functionality requires
presence of Adobe® Acrobat Professional®
(Adobe Acrobat Product Comparison Chart).